Category Archives: Projects

Routers, Trigonometry and Laser Cutters

You probably asked all of your math teachers “when and I’m going to use this stuff?”. Well that day is today. NESIT has a hand router that is missing the base plate. The base plate allows the router to smoothly slide across a piece of wood without getting hung up while also providing a sturdy base for the user to hold the router. NESIT has the technology available to make a replacement. Here’s how it’s done… and guess what, it includes some fun math! We’ll Read More +

Recycled Laptop Becomes Linux Media Server

I cut my cable service quite a while ago. I have no regrets for sure. There are a few shows that I dig so I just download those, throw them on a flash drive and walk that drive over to plug it into my WDTV media streamer. It works but it’s annoying. I could stream it from my computer but even though the WDTV is connected via ethernet, my laptop isn’t and the resulting video is not smooth at all. I decided it was time Read More +

Dual Monitor Setup Goes Vertical

Sometimes my pal John and I get together to kick butt on a project at his place. The one problem with bringing my laptop over is that I suffer without my dual monitor setup. I could bring a second monitor but Johnny doesn’t have the desk space available for it. Today I had an idea: Don’t put the extra monitor on the side of my laptop, put it overhead! It’ll take up less space and I’ll be able to have dual monitors. That’s a win-win situation. Picking Read More +

Finding and Duplicating Awkward Angles

Nothing beats having the right tool for the job. If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail… and that can be hazardous to your project’s health! The word ‘tool’ doesn’t have to mean things like hammers and screw drivers, it can also include Measuring Tools. Measuring Tools are often overlooked but extremely useful and using the right tool for the job is extremely important. For example, you wouldn’t measure the thickness of a piece of paper with a Read More +

Electric Spinner

One of our members Andrew built his wife an electric spinning wheel for Christmas this year utilizing the laser cutter and woodworking tools at NESIT. Check out the details on how he built it ::here:: on his site. Be sure to check the other awesome projects he has built there too.

Casting Aluminum with Mini-Foundry

The goal for our casting experiment is to expand the number of materials our space is capable of working with and creating more durable parts. And at a price of under $20 , this project was perfect. Charcoal foundries can reach temperatures in excess of 1,000ºC which is plenty for us to melt aluminum. It’s melting point is only 660.3°C Roughly following the instructions from the King of Random, we created a form consisting of two plastic buckets and pouring in conventional quick-drying cement. After Read More +